Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stream of Conciousness

My mind is in 593 different places right now, so I thought I'd write a post to reflect that. Bear with me. Should be interesting...maybe even a bit scary to get into my brain.

This weekend I saw a video on MTV. This, in itself, is strange on two accounts. 1) I saw a VIDEO on MTV. I honestly thought I'd time-traveled back about 15 years. 2) MTV was on at my house. I must have been watching True Life or something when I went to sleep. Anyway, the Katy Perry video for "California Gurls" was on. (V12 says they're playing the song to death on the radio, but I mostly listen to podcasts of Free Beer and Hot Wings while I'm driving, so I haven't heard it on the radio.) It was a bizarre video, and Snoop Dogg was in it wearing a suit made to look like a Candyland game board.

So, during the chorus of the song, Katy says, "California girls, we're unforgettable...Daisy Dukes, bikinis on top..." Okay, Katy. I'm not sure what you're thinking. Very short shorts are called "Daisy Dukes" because frickin Daisy Duke from Dukes of Hazzard made them notable. Did Dukes of Hazzard take place in California? NO. I don't think so. Daisy Dukes are most definitely a Southern thing. I realize this is stupid, but it annoyed me slightly, so therefore y'all get to hear about it.

So that led me to think about other music that I like. (I'm not sure I actually "like" that song, but it's catchy, and it gets stuck in my head.) As I make a list of things I need to get from iTunes, I realize that maybe I should never show said list to anyone, EVER. I have the shittiest taste in music. Let's put my iPod on shuffle, shall we? Seriously...I'm going to start playing it, and the first 15 songs that shuffle through, I'll list.

1)  "American Idiot" by Green day
2)  "Strangers in the Night" by Frank Sinatra
3)  "Theme from New York, New York" also by Mr. Francis Albert
4)  "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John
5)  "Suavemente" by Elvis Crespo
6)  "Make that Ass Clap" by Project Pat
7)  "Baby I Believe in You" by New Kids on the Block
8)  "Miss World" by Hole
9)  "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" by Boyz II Men
10) "Pretty Please (Love Me)" by Estelle, feat. Cee-Lo
11) "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins
12) "Paparazzi" by Lady Gaga
13) "3" by Britney Spears
14) "No Tell Lover" by Chicago
15) "Rooster" by Alice in Chains

Now, I have almost 2000 songs on my iPod, so that's just a small sampling. When I got my iPod (from V12 as a hand-me-down, which are the BEST iPods to get b/c they already have songs on them!), it had almost 3500. Sorry, girl, I had to get rid of a bunch of stuff. Every once in a while, a song will come on, and I'll just have to laugh b/c I know it's a V12 Special. Just believe me when I say that it's full of garbage that I love and adore, but no one else in their right mind probably would. Lots of songs I have to turn down at stop lights so people won't know I'm lame. (Please reference #7 on the list.)

I have a couple of books on hold at the library that I need to remember to pick up today, or they'll put them back on the shelf. Two are books by Paul Burrell about Princess Diana. V12's mom recommended them to me after the expo last weekend, and I need some mindless reading. Another one is Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi. That's the book Goodfellas was made from. Anyone who knows me even a little bit knows that Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies. (Top Three, for sure, right along with Coal Miner's Daughter and Forrest Gump.) I love the mob movies and TV shows. I'm totally hooked on The Sopranos, and Husband has banned me from watching Goodfellas if he's around. He loves the movie, too, and I've made him watch it with me so many times that he says I'm close to ruining it for him. I can't help it.

I'm probably on some kind of federal watch list, according to what I've checked out from the library. Go down my list and it's books by Jen Lancaster, other chick lit that Jen tells me to read (I'm such a follower), books about polygamy (every book the library has about polygamy, specifically those nutjobs in Utah and Arizona), a book about the BTK killer, and mafia books.

Which reminds me...after the library I need to stop at the Redbox, b/c I reserved Capitalism: A Love Story last night, and it needs to be picked up before 9:00pm. Another lame thing I love...documentaries. The last couple of movies I got from Netflix were The Business of Being Born, Ricki Lake's movie about birthing experiences in America, and Food, Inc, a movie about the food industry in America. Sickening, by the way.

That's about all I can work in for right now. I've taken my 30 minute, uninterrupted lunch break, so back to the grind for me.

1 comment:

  1. Twisted little sister, strange little gremlin are you. Tiny Dancer juxtaposed with a song by Hole, Mafia movies and serial killers... I think there is a fine thread of piano wire separating you from the underworld, and keeping you just this side of being a danger to society. And I wouldn't have it any. other. way.

    ReplyDelete