Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I just don't understand...

Granted, The Girls and I didn't enjoy Sex and the City 2 as much as we did the first movie, but we still love the whole Sex and the City franchise.  What I don't get is why men hate it so much.  I understand that it might not be their particular cup of tea, but is it really that horrible?  Four independent and sexually-liberated women living their lives in New York...what's so wrong about that?  I do love me some Family Guy, but SATC is described by one of the characters on that show as "three hookers and their mother."  So they have sex.  Lots of it.  With more than one partner.  That somehow makes them hookers?  Sure, they are fashion-obsessed, and can be shallow at times.  Charlotte is always searching for her knight in shining armor (who, most likely, is obscenely wealthy), Carrie is always shoe shopping and writing her sex column, Miranda is a very independent, sometimes bitchy, cynical lawyer, and Samantha is basically a man in high heels.

Are men threatened?  Are they afraid women will see this and decide that their particular man is is a dud, and they need to find a new one? (Probably!) 

I realize that the entire notion of independent women is scary to men.  But they need to get over it.  Most of all, they need to realize that the show IS A TELEVISION SHOW.  It's fantasy.  Women love it for many reasons, but the biggest being that it is every woman's fantasy!  We realize men like Big don't exist. (Well, they do...but they are very few and far between.)  We realize that there is no way on earth that Carrie can afford that apartment and wardrobe on a freelance writer's salary. WE GET IT.  But it's fun. 

There's a lot of flak about the relationship between Carrie and Big anyway.  The first misconception is that she calls him "Mr. Big" because he is well-endowed in the crotchal area.  Of course this is the first thing that men think of.  But let me tell you...women are not always thinking about a guy's dick.  SHOCKING, but true.  While it may be one of the reasons, we never know for sure because Carrie never reveals much about her sex life with Big to the girls.  All we know is that he's a demon in the sack, and that doesn't neccessarily mean he's got a massive crank.  He's referred to as "Mr. Big" because he's a big time hotshot.  In the very first episode, she finds out about him from Samantha, and that's where the name comes from.

Secondly, he and Carrie have the kind of relationship that you can only understand and appreciate if you, yourself, have been in that kind of relationship.  Even some women don't get it.  He seems like a jerk, and yes...sometimes he is.  But unless you've had your own personal Mr. Big, you'll never understand what makes Carrie find him irresistable.  (I mean...besides the fact that he is GORGEOUS and filthy rich!)  If you have had your own personal Big...then you've gotta know that there is nothing like it in this whole wide world.

Alright, I guess I'm done analyzing Sex and the City (for now).  It's my #1 favorite show, and the first movie was the Best Movie Ever Made in the Entire Universe.  Okay, maybe not, but it sure was good.  Yes, there's a lot going on in the world right now, but I think all of those "other things" are the reason I feel the need to blog about Snooki and polygamists and Sex and the City.  Don't you hear enough about those other things?  Don't you NEED to hear more about how Snooki's pouf is a whole different animal than a Polygamist Pouf?  I think so.  I also think you need to see more pictures of my dog.  So there.  Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. LUCY Pictures is all the world really needs... of course, along with a greater understanding of SATC, which I now have.

    I must admit, I laughed at the Family Guy reference, but only because I laugh at everything that's juvenile and immature. Come to think of it, why is Seth McFarland famous? Because of people like me who will laugh at almost anything that's crude and against the grain... Hmmm...

    I have to confess...I'm jealous... I have no equivalent to SATC that I can get into...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... I can't figure out why I can post from this computer, and not the one at home...

    ReplyDelete