Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Having-No-Children Perk #1: Fabulous Vacations

I seriously feel the need to point this out right from the start: I'm definitely not knocking anyone's choice to have kids. I'm merely trying to justify my childless existence. From time to time, I'll feel the need to explain how I can still manage to live with myself without a child. Really, it's the whole reason I blog. Validation of my choice to be childless.

It's no secret that I love to travel. Last year was a whirlwind of vacations, and before anyone starts raising eyebrows about "disposable income", let me just say that I only paid for two of these vacations. The rest were either courtesy of someone's incredible generosity, or hard-earned on the back of my sweet husband. I would never have been able to go to these place if I had a little one. They were too boring or just plain too inappropriate for children, but FUN FUN FUN for me!! Enough talking...let's make with the pictures.

#1: December 27, 2008 - January 2, 2009
VEGAS, BABY!
(Believe it or not, what happened in Vegas really did stay in Vegas...we forgot to take ANY pictures!)

#2: April 3, 2009 - April 15, 2009
Germany!
My brother and sister-in-law (to be!) are both in the Air Force and are stationed at Spangdahlem AFB in Germany. They were super gracious and flew me out to visit them in 2008, and then again last year. This trip was the ultimate "I don't have kids, so let's travel!" vacation. It was planned and executed in 2 weeks. Never could have happened if I had to arrange for care for a little 'un! (And I have to mention that I went without Husband. Poor Husband. He's the best for agreeing for me to leave him behind yet again, since I also went the first time without him!)



#3: October 31, 2009 - November 7, 2009
Caribbean Cruise!
I love cruising. That is no secret. Husband and I planned this one while he was convalescing after sinus surgery. Our friends went with us (who we also went to Vegas with), and it was their first time cruising. We left from Ft. Lauderdale and cruised to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios (Jamaica). It was wonderful, of course. I can't wait to book my next one. As I mentioned, I'm planning one for September of next year with T-Bird and V12, but Husband and I need to go on another one VERY soon. If you can spot a recurring theme in these pictures, you get 20 points. Also, I feel the need to mention that the World Series was going on the week we cruised, and we were lucky enough to see the Yankees beat the Phillies to win the Series. So exciting!! (Another fun fact...I'm a HUGE Yankees fan.)



#4: December 7, 2009 - December 11, 2009
Maui, Hawaii!!
This all-expenses-paid extravaganza was earned by my fabulous husband through his company. He was the #1 store manager in his district, and the top three managers earn a spot in the President's Club. It just so happens that the President's Club is held once a year in a fabulous tropical locale. In 2009, it was Maui! We arrived on Pearl Harbor Day, and the next day was our day to roam about on our own. Of course (being the history nerd that I am), I opted to fly to Oahu and visit Pearl Harbor. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, not just in going, but in going so close to the day. All the wreaths were still there from the ceremony the day before. It was amazing. My grandfather has always wished he could visit, so I made sure to take lots of pictures for a scrapbook I put together for his birthday, which was the following week.

While that was definitely a huge highlight of the whole trip, I have to say, that the whole experience was just wonderful. They don't call that place "paradise" for nothin'! It was beautiful, the weather was perfect, the whole atmosphere was perfect. Words just can't even begin to describe, so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.



Now, when I hit the lotto, this will be but a mere taste of what my travel schedule will look like. And nowhere in my plans are trips that include talking cartoon characters, or road trips in a minivan with a DVD player. Not that there's anything wrong with those things...they just ain't for me. Not by a longshot. In my opinion, it isn't a vacation if I have to touch a dirty diaper or wipe a snotty nose. Is that selfish? Maybe just a little. But I work hard...I deserve to completely relax and unwind on vacation. I like adult beverages, I enjoy child-inappropriate destinations and activities, I relish the thought of doing uninterrupted naughty things with my husband. (I totally apologize for any mental images that may conjure up.) I know there are those who believe that children would only enrich my experiences, but please let me disagree with you. It's not that I don't like kids...I just don't like them on my vacations.

No comments:

Post a Comment